Biomass can be defined as the total mass of living organisms that belong to a society consists of species or consist of several species. Biomass is also defined as an organic carbon.
The main biomass resources are listed below.
1.Herbal Biomass Recources
2. Forest and Forestry Product Biomass Recources
- Oil-bearing crops (canola, sunflower, soybean, etc.)
- Sugar and starch crops (potatoes, wheat, corn, sugar beets, etc.)
- Staple crops (flax, kenaf, hemp, sorghum, miscanthus, etc.)
- Protein crops (peas, beans, etc.)
- Herbal and agricultural residues (branches, stalk, straw, root, bark, etc.)
3. Animal Biomass Recources
- Wood and forestry waste(energy forest, energy crops, various trees)
4. Organic wastes, biomass resources obtained from urban and industrial wastes
- Cattle, horses, sheep, chickens waste, slaughter house waste and animal wastes that arise during the processing of products
- Sewage sludge, paper industry and food industry wastes, industrial and domestic waste water, municipal waste and large industrial facilities waste
It is estimated that the biomass potential in Turkey is about 8,6 million tonnes of equivalent petrol (MTEP), and biogas quantities that can be produced from biomass is 1,5-2 MTEP.